<< Back to Meeting Minutes Home

Meeting Minutes

August 23, 2017 6:30 pm

August 23, 2017 - 6:30 PM                  LOCATION: IKM Architecture Offices, Downtown

President Strayer called the meeting to order with the following BOD members and Committee members in attendance:  Bartley, Telenko, Nagie, McNamee, Brown, Bosco, Schuster, Prindible, Miller, Jordan, Defilippo, Henze, Womer, Keener, Pollock, Carty, Lander, and Vernon.

PRESIDENT:  Welcome to all attending. 

The primary purpose of this meeting is to follow-up on items from July and get everyone thinking about the next year.  What can we do to improve our reach into the potential member pool.

SECRETARY:  MOTION: To approve the minutes of July 20, 2017 board meeting as submitted; proposed by Miller, seconded by Nagie; motion unanimously approved.

TREASURER: Nagie: we are solvent.  Review of final budget discussion.  Marc 17 account to have $10,000 transferred back to chapter savings account.  Discussion of 60th anniversary plan budget reviewed and accepted as reasonable.  Gail to contact Edgewood Country Club for available dates in September/October 2018.

MOTION: To approve monthly treasurer’s report and preliminary 2017/2018 budget as submitted proposed by Schuster, seconded by Bailey; motion unanimously approved.

PROGRAMS:  Scott Keener to co-chair with assistance from Matt Lander.  Following are current plans:
1. September 19th – Tour of Columbia Gas in Monaca starting at 5:00.  Miki had initial contact.  Scott Keener to follow up with details of event.  Dinner location not yet decided.  Brad Bartley is familiar with area.  Did not like JW Halls as location.  He will contact Marc with a short list of locations in Beaver.
2. October10th – No tour discussed.  Possible joint ASHRE meeting.  Brad to check on availability of company speaker about forensic glass and AIA credits.
3. November 6th – Student Outreach Mixer.  See Student outreach committee report below.
4. Other ideas presented: Carpenters and other trade training facility location tours.

1. Golf outing set for 9/21.  See the website for information.
2. Holiday Party Jim to start soliciting after Labor Day.  The following are C/F comments from July to consider for this year event:  This event format is getting tired, so we need to find alternative to create interest.  Joint party?  Just invite another group?  Key is get professionals to attend.

1. WEBSITE:  Minor added information.  New Leadership Information provided by Rich to Kate after BOD meeting.  Golf event info added.
2.  SPECIGRAM:  July?August issued
3. POST CARDS:  Nothing at this time.
4. PROMOTIONAL ITEMS:  We have some, but lost track at MARC.  Bill, Miki, Kate and anyone else with items to advise Bill who has inventory list.

MEMBERSHIP:  No report. 

TECHNICAL EDUCATION:  Education other than lunch-and-learns are less popular since professionals can get education in other ways with less time commitment.
1. Phil Dorenkott recommended late October/early November for Plan Grid technical seminar at MBA offices.  Only Union affiliated companies to attend.
2. Discussion of using “Let’s Fix Construction” presentation as possible additional course. 

CERTIFICATION: Report provided by Mike, presented by Rich of current activity. 

AWARDS:  Consider combining with 60th Anniversary this year.  See new business.

GBA LIASION: No expense budget.  Annual speaker program to be continued. 

STUDENT OUTREACH:  Chatham volunteered to host a student/professional meeting on November 6th.  Can invite students that can walk/bike to the event.
1. Students from: Chatham, PITT, La Roche, Duquesne, CMU to be invited
2. NOMA – To be invited as our guests to help attract younger professionals
3. BOMA – To be invited as paying guests
4. Format will be open discussion, food.  Each Organization to make a 2-5 minute presentation of their purpose and career paths.  CSI can discuss CDT course advantages.
5. Colleen to draft a flyer of event information.  


CSI CHAPTER 60th ANNIVERSARY:  This could be promoted as soon as we get the date set.  Want upscale facility on a weekend night in a central/easy access location.  Need to start now.  Committee volunteers: Colleen, Matt, Bob, Mark & Rich to organize after Labor Day.  Gail to provide sage advice and some budget info from past events.

MOTION: For adjournment at 7:45 PM, since there was no additional business before the board; proposed by, Miller seconded by Schuster; motion unanimously approved.

Minutes respectfully submitted by Rich Strayer.

New Meeting Follow-Up Summary Section:
Below information is not a part of the BOD meeting minutes.  It is a list of various ACTION ITEMS noted requiring follow-up based on meeting discussion.  It is not all inclusive or otherwise limiting.  It is a reference point to remind us what we volunteered for!  Unless otherwise noted the responsible individual will present the results of their work at the next BOD meeting.

1. GAIL – Dates for 60th Anniversary Celebration
2. BRAD – List of Beaver area restaurants for Marc to schedule 9/19/17 - ASAP
3. MARC – Final restaurant info to Scott Keener for inclusion in Tour info package to be distributed to CSI Membership by Dave.  ASAP and again 2 weeks before tour.
4. BRAD – Glass speaker for October meeting.  Cost? ASAP
5. COLLEEN – To call Carpenters Union about a tour and available dates.  To SCOTT.
6. BILL – Update CSI Promotional Items inventory list.  Get bag count from KATE and other notebooks from MIKI. 
7. MATT – to inventory pins and other membership and advise of shortages to be purchased.
8. MATT & DAMIAN – Membership committee to create & distribute current vs. historical membership rosters to highlight members who have fallen off.  List to be reviewed & assigned for follow-up.
9. ALL BOD – Need Technical Education Committee Chairperson.
10. PHIL – Contact MBA office & pick a date for Plan Grid course to be scheduled.
11. COLLEEN – Student Event Flyer to advertise
12. RICH – CSI Information Brochure updated.  To COLLEEN.
13. 60TH ANNIVERSARY COMMITTEE – Need to discuss ideas after Gail gets site booked.